The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is urging all party-goers to recognize that Buzzed Driving is Drunk Driving this Halloween. As with all other holiday weekends, Halloween can bring about an increase in parties and celebrations in Florida and across the United States. Sadly, this also means that there will be an increase in drunk driving related injuries and deaths. Because of this, law enforcement officials are expected to be out in full force on Halloween night all across the state of Florida.
If you plan on drinking this Halloween, make sure to designate a sober driver before hitting the town. Consuming even just “a few” drinks could still place you over the legal limit. You do not want to place innocent trick-or-treaters and other roadway users in danger. Avoid drinking and driving entirely. Police will be ready to pounce if they believe they spot a drunk or buzzed driver, so save yourself the terrifying ride to jail and the horrifying costumed mug shot as well.
- Nearly half of all car crash fatalities on Halloween night involved a drunk driver in 2012.
- In 2012, 26 people were killed in car accidents involving drunk drivers on Halloween night.
- In 2012, 10,322 people were killed in drunk driving crashes across the nation, accounting for a third of all traffic crash fatalities for the year.
- Young drivers between the ages of 21 and 34 years old make up the largest group of drunk drivers involved in fatal collisions.
- In 2012, 18 percent of all drivers under the age of 21 involved in fatal crashes were impaired.
The best way to make sure your Halloween is happy and safe is to be smart and stay sober if you plan on driving. Just one drink can be one too many – buzzed driving is still drunk driving. If you plan on consuming any amount of alcohol, make sure you have a safe ride home lined up. Pre-program a cab company’s number into your phone or make plans with a designated driver.
If you or a loved one is arrested for a DUI this Halloween, please call a Florida Criminal Defense Lawyer at Whittel & Melton as soon as possible at 866-608-5529. We are available 24/7 to assist you with your DUI-related matter.